Sustainable LNG Operations for Ports and Shipping – Innovative Pilot Actions
GAINN4MOS aims to improve the Motorways of the Sea network in 6 Member States (Spain, France, Croatia, Italy, Portugal and Slovenia) by carrying out engineering studies on ship retrofitting and/or newbuildings, port LNG infrastructures, bunkering stations and a large set of pilot projects.
GAINN4MOS includes 17 engineering studies on LNG infrastructures and bunkering stations and ship retrofitting and / or newbuilding of vessels and 11 prototypes (4 LNG retrofitted prototype vessels and 7 LNG bunkering stations at core ports).
- To provide the core ports of Koper, La Spezia, Venezia, Fos-Marseille and Nantes – Saint Nazaire, with initial pilot infrastructures in the cases of Koper and Italian ports and with fully operational LNG break-bulking stations in Fos-Marseille and Nantes-St Nazaire required to comply with Directive 2014/94/EU on the deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure.
- To generate an initial demand for the Italian LNG bunkering infrastructures with the retrofitting/newbuilding of one pax or ropax vessel included in this project.
- To foster greener, safer and sustainable maritime transport by reducing operational costs associated with fuel consumption on average by 30% with the retrofitting/newbuilding of 4 prototype vessels included in this proposal.
- To reduce CO2 emissions by 20% (on average) and sulphur emissions by 80% (on average) with the retrofitting/newbuilding of 4 prototype vessels included in this proposal.
- To contribute to the development of the European Union LNG and maritime industry and shipyards: at least 200 employees in 4 European shipyards and 30 additional employees in sea carriers will be working in the retrofitting/newbuilding of 4 prototype vessels and in the vessels themselves.
- To contribute to the development of the European Union LNG industry at ports: at least 35 employees will be working directly in 3 pilots and 2 fully operational LNG infrastructures or bunkering stations in core ports included in the GAINN4MOS Action.
- To share results obtained in this proposal with at least 30 EU ports and 20 sea carriers not participating directly in this proposal via 8 large scale communication events and by their participation in the Stakeholders Interest Group.
GAINN4MOS is composed of five activities:
Activity 1: Basic engineering projects of prototypes and pilots
This activity includes the elaboration of the basic engineering projects of 4 LNG retrofitted or newbuilt vessels and basic engineering studies of LNG infrastructures and / or bunkering stations at 11 ports (Koper, Nantes – St Nazaire, Fos-Marseille, Rijeka, Genova, La Spezia, Livorno, Augusta, Ancona, Ravenna and Venezia).
Activity 2: Detailed engineering studies and prototyping
The aims of this activity are to prepare detailed engineering studies of 8 ships (LNG bunkering barge in Spain, LNG general cargo ship in Portugal, LNG port tugboat in Portugal, LNG large passenger ship in Italy, LNG medium pax or ropax ship in Italy, LNG small pax or ropax ship in Italy, MV Lobo Marinho in Portugal and MV Funchalense 5 in Portugal) and detailed engineering studies of LNG infrastructure, break-bulking and/or bunkering stations at the ports of Koper, Nantes-Saint-Nazaire, Fos-Marseille and La Spezia.
In addition, Activity 2 includes the prototyping of the retrofitting and/or newbuilding of 4 ships: LNG bunkering barge in Spain, LNG general cargo ship in Portugal, LNG port tugboat in Portugal, LNG pax or ropax ship in Italy and LNG infrastructures and/or bunkering stations at the ports of Koper, La Spezia and Venezia.
Activity 3: Real life trials and pilots
The main objective of this activity will be to validate the aforementioned prototypes from different perspectives: technical, regulatory, environmental, training and safety procedures and from a socio-economic and financial perspective. Activity 3 comprises of real life trials of the prototypes built in Activity 2.
Activity 4: Real life operations of the two LNG break-bulking stations
This activity comprises of the construction and trials in real life operations of the two LNG break-bulking stations in France, Nantes-St Nazaire and Fos-Marseille.
Activity 5: Communication and coordination
This activity covers the administrative and technical coordination as well as communication and dissemination activities of the Action that will be required throughout its duration.