Sustainable LNG Operations for Ports and Shipping – Innovative Pilot Actions
GAINN4MOS aims to improve the Motorways of the Sea network in 6 Member States (Spain, France, Croatia, Italy, Portugal and Slovenia) by carrying out engineering studies on ship retrofitting and/or newbuildings, port LNG infrastructures, bunkering stations and a large set of pilot projects.
The GAINN4MOS consortium will elaborate 21 basic and detailed engineering studies on LNG bunkering stations and ship retrofitting and newbuilding, and will pilot an LNG ropax ship in Italy and LNG bunkering stations at the ports of La Spezia, Civitavecchia, Venezia, Nantes-St Nazaire and Fos-Marseille.
- Providing the core ports of La Spezia, Civitavecchia, Venezia, Fos-Marseille and Nantes – Saint Nazaire, with initial pilot infrastructures in the cases of the Italian ports and with fully operational LNG break-bulking stations in Fos-Marseille and Nantes-St Nazaire required to comply with Directive 2014/94/EU on the deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure.
- Generating an initial demand for the Italian LNG bunkering infrastructures with the newbuilding of one ropax vessel included in this Action.
- Fostering greener, safer and sustainable maritime transport by reducing operational costs associated to fuel consumption on average by 30% with the newbuilding of prototype vessel included in this Action.
- Reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions externalities on average by 20% and sulphur emissions externalities on average by 80% with the newbuilding of the prototype vessel included in this Action.
- Contributing to developing European Union LNG and maritime industry and shipyards: at least 10 employees in a European shipyard and 8 additional employees in sea carriers will be working in the newbuilding of the prototype vessel and in the vessel itself.
- Contributing to developing European Union LNG industry at ports: at least 38 employees will be working directly in 3 pilots and 2 fully operational LNG infrastructures or bunkering stations in core ports included in the GAINN4MOS Action.
- Sharing results obtained in this proposal with at least 30 EU ports and 20 sea carriers not participating directly in this proposal via 8 large scale communication events and by their participation in the Stakeholders Interest Group.
GAINN4MOS is composed of five activities:
Activity 1: Basic engineering projects of prototypes and pilots
This activity includes the elaboration of the basic engineering projects of 4 LNG retrofitted or newbuilt vessels and basic engineering studies of LNG infrastructures and / or bunkering stations at 12 ports (Koper, Nantes – St Nazaire, Fos-Marseille, Rijeka, Genova, La Spezia, Livorno, Augusta, Ancona, Ravenna, Civitavecchia and Venezia).
Activity 2: Detailed engineering studies and prototyping
The aims of this activity are to prepare detailed engineering studies of 3 ships in Italy (LNG cruise ship, LNG ropax ship and LNG ropax ferry) and detailed engineering studies of LNG infrastructure, break-bulking and/or bunkering stations at the ports of Nantes-Saint-Nazaire, Fos-Marseille and La Spezia.
In addition, Activity 2 includes the prototyping of the newbuilding of a LNG ropax ferry in Italy and LNG infrastructures and/or bunkering stations at the ports of La Spezia, Civitavecchia and Venezia.
Activity 3: Real life trials and pilots
The main objective of this activity will be to validate the aforementioned prototypes from different perspectives: technical, regulatory, environmental, training and safety procedures and from a socio-economic and financial perspective. Activity 3 comprises of real life trials of the prototypes built in Activity 2.
Activity 4: Real life operations of the two LNG break-bulking stations
This activity comprises of the construction and trials in real life operations of the two LNG break-bulking stations in France, Nantes-St Nazaire and Fos-Marseille.
Activity 5: Communication and coordination
This activity covers the administrative and technical coordination as well as communication and dissemination activities of the Action that will be required throughout its duration.